Tuesday, April 2, 2013

For those of you who struggle

I came to be a co-sleeper out of necessity, not by choice.   The physical toll of sleep deprivation was a shocking revelation of the parenting experience.  You can never be prepared for the lack of sleep, especially for those of us who have been blessed with the 'non-sleepers'.

I quickly realized that when Ben and I were sleeping side by side we both slept for longer periods and were cozy and warm together, often mimicking the same sleeping positions (of which there are way too many photos of, but none that I can easily access to share with you, oh darn!).  Ben would start every sleep in his crib but after the first or second feeding through the night we would be back in my bed together to catch some sleep.  Eventually, I gave up trying to keep us separated and was happy to have this little creature that I loved taking up residence beside me.  My husband was also a reluctant co-sleeper, and yet, we all managed to adapt to this new lifestyle. 

Over the years as Ben grew up he spent less time sleeping with us and more time sleeping alone.  Eventually our middle of the night encounters spread out and he has become, over time, what one would describe as a good sleeper.  However, tonight as he went to bed he said what all babies must feel, but can't express : "Mommy, when I sleep beside you, I feel safe."  My response was "Of course you do!  That is why I am the mom and you are the kid".  We cuddled up in his bed for the last of his bedtime snuggles and soon he was off to sleep. 

So for those of you who find themselves struggling with the decision to co-sleep or not hear this: if it feels right to you then do it.  Remember that your baby can't always articulate how he is feeling but as my wise Ben has said,  everyone feels safer when they are together. 

Sweet Dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment