Monday, August 12, 2013

If you're happy and you know it......

For my birthday this year one of my best friends gave me the book "The Happiness Project" by Gretchen Rubin.  I have passed this cover many times as I strolled through my local bookstore, but never picked up a copy.  I likely would not have bought it on my own either, but I have to tell you, I am so happy that she gave me this book and I made sure to take a moment to thank her.

I am a happy person by nature.  One of those glass is half-full, eternal optimists type of people.  However, I can tell you that at times I have felt, especially in the last  year or so, that I 'should' be happier.  Don't get me wrong, I am not unhappy, but I feel like I am experiencing less joy "in the moment".  I am too busy doing stuff and am not engaged in the present. 

This lovely little book has inspired me to be more present, thoughtful and self-aware (which is a lot of work, as the author herself has noted many times).  So instead of letting life pass me by I am stopping.  I am trying to take stock and learn to enjoy the moment.  As Gretchen writes many times: "The days are long, but the years are short". 

This book is definitely worth investing whatever quiet time you have into reading it.  Perhaps doing so will inspire you to find more happiness in your everyday too!

No comments:

Post a Comment