Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Embracing pregnacy through yoga

When I was pregnant with my boys, I practiced yoga regularly. I had practiced on and off prior to becoming pregnant, but it wasn't until my first pregnancy that everything clicked and my passion for yoga deepened.  My prenatal yoga practice allowed me the opportunity to slow down and connect with my growing baby, but also to carve time out of my day to reflect on the physical and emotional changes that pregnancy brings. 

The physical changes that pregnancy brings can sometimes be uncomfortable, backache, for example, is a common complaint among most pregnant women.  Weight gain and postural changes are often the culprit, as well as weaker core muscles.  Research confirms that women who remain active during their pregnancy will experience lower instances of backache, constipation, healthier weight gain, decrease swelling and improved circulation.  I believe that my regular yoga practice, and the fact that I stayed active during each pregnancy, contributed to my overall experience of being comfortable in my skin.  The minor aches and pains I experienced were alleviated through my yoga practice, creating space in my body to accommodate my growing boys.  I looked forward to the time I spent on my mat as I waited to meet the one's who had stolen my heart.

Although my days of practicing prenatal yoga as an expectant mom are behind me, I continue to enjoy the time I get to spend guiding you through your practice.  As your teacher my goal is to create an environment that is a safe refuge for you to connect with your baby and to build community with a network of expectant mothers.  I also strive to build confidence in your ability to give birth and to help you feel empowered and strong, physically and emotionally.

Our next prenatal yoga series is scheduled to run starting Monday March 3rd, 2014 at 7:30pm in Whitby.  It would be wonderful to have you join me as you prepare to welcome your little one into your family.  To register for the class please visit my website at www.fitmomfitness.com/durham

  • Experience the positive effect of practicing yoga during pregnancy
  • Learn the benefits of breathing and relaxation techniques during pregnancy and childbirth
  • Practice effective postures that prepare you physically for labour
  • Engage in weekly discussions related to pregnancy and childbirth and the postpartum experience. As a Lamaze Certified Childbirth Educator my role is to present evidence based care so that you may make informed decisions for childbearing.   I am also an advocate that promotes, supports and protects normal birth. 







No comments:

Post a Comment